We have 7 openings for “Adopt-a-Goat 2015”... this is similar to a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program or a goat (or cow) share, and is a great way for consumers to get fresh, locally grown products from a farmer and her Oberhasli goats!
There is a lot to learn in keeping dairy animals...feeding, hoof trimming, health, and, of course, milking! Udder View Farm is offering the “adoption” of their Oberhasli dairy goats (or a share in Bella, the Jersey cow) for the 2015 season and this will allow you to participate in what it takes to being a goat/cow farmer!
One scheduled day (3 hrs) a month (from June-Sept) you will be able to come to the farm and learn a different aspect of keeping livestock. From hoof trimming, feeding, bottle feeding goat babies...to learning to milk a goat (or cow), you will learn about what it takes to do what we do, including making a simple cheese like Mozzarella using cow's milk!
Each adopter will get:
- Certificate of adoption of one of our Oberhasli milking goats (along with her picture)
- (Udder View Farm retains ownership its goats/cow and this is as a 'share' opportunity)
- 4 – 3 hr educational blocks on an aspect of keeping livestock (milking, hoof trimming, injections, etc.)
- 1 – Mozzarella making class (using cow's milk)
- 1 – punch card for 10 5-oz tubs (no more than 2 a week) of chevre during farmers' market season (June-Sept) OR 1-gallon of Jersey cow milk a week
- 1 – punch card for 3 “specialty” cheeses (no more than 1 a week) for Italian Torte, Marinated Chevre, or a “Bloomer”.
Adoption Fee is $150 and is on a first come basis. We only have 7 milking goats available this season and 3 cow shares available.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org .